BoiC.G.H. Forum | Paranormal History | Community

Boise City Ghost Hunters Paranormal Research and Investigations offers one of the most extensive Paranormal and Historical forums on the web. All the information is broken down into easy to find topics and resource points. You can also do a keyword search. Thank you!

If you would like to participate in the forum discussion please fill out our form to join HERE.

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Military Cave of Honour | Mammoth Cave and Shoshone Bird Museum of Natural History | Shoshone, Idaho | Historical | Heritage | Idaho | BoiCGH

Idaho holds so much rich history in her hands, each and every day. Some of it will take your breath away.

This history cannot be paralleled elsewhere.

Being home to 'the worlds largest cave' really is something to behold. But what I discovered about this caves original use truly left me in awe. Read on to find out why this is not only the largest lava cave in the world but the 'most honourable cave' in the world.

The Mammoth Cave in Shoshone holds the proud title of 'largest volcanic cave in the world'. Ancient lava has flowed through her veins, timeless fossils at her heart.

In 1954 Richard Arthur Olsen discovered the cave whilst on a hunting trip with his girlfriend. They literally stumbled across history! Richard persuaded his girlfriend to join him in exploring the cave a little which they initially presumed was just another cavern.

Little did they know they had just rediscovered the worlds largest lava cave.

Richard fell so much in love with the location that he even built his home next to the site. Some of the original A Frame wooden structure still visible today. He decided to homestead part of the land in attempts to yield new growth on the barren land and would often return to cultivate his plot.

Sadly nothing came to fruition. Regardless, this did not deter Richard who had the genius idea of powering the cave up with electricity so that others could come and behold this newfound wonder.

Yet again, his efforts sadly failed when generator power failed. Finally the idea of propane powered lanterns was put forward and proved a great success (todays provided tour lanterns are battery powered).

During the Cold War, in 1960, U.S. Government officials, fearing an outside attack on the United States, suggested the cave be used as a defense shelter and double as a food/water storage area. In return the Government would arrange for a brand new road to be paved leading up to the caves entrance.

For the next twenty years water, food and supplies were stored here ensuring the protection and wellbeing of thousands of Idahoans. This landmark is so much more than just a cave, it protected and served our people.

I write many articles, yet this is the one that left me truly speechless. I don't know about you but I cannot think of a more honourable historical landmark. The more I discover Idahos rich history, the deeper I fall in love with her.

Why not visit the cave today.

The 'Idaho Mammoth Cave Shoshone Bird Museum are clearly signposted if you are approaching from Highway 75. Open 7 days a week during the summer months from 9am to 6pm, and with admission prices being as reasonable as $5/$10, with entry including access to the adjacent Bird Museum, this surely would make yet another great family day out discovering some incomparable local history. 

History in our hands.

#historicalidaho #thisplacematters #historicalpreservation #historicalmeridian #historicalboise #historyinourhands

*All properties require prior authorization and permission to investigate.  Boise City Ghost Hunters DOES NOT investigate cemeteries.*

Become a content writer or guest writer for Boise City Ghost Hunters! Go to our Guidelines HERE.

FORUM GUIDELINES

• Relevant content to the paranormal is a must
  • Non-explicit content on our site and/or any linking sites or pages
  • Factual and informational
  • You are free to stop posting at any time. Boise City Ghost Hunters reserves the right to retain any posts provided prior to your exit date for continued use on our site.

If any of our guidelines are not followed you will be blocked and removed from our site.

Bones Coffee | Boise City Ghost Hunters Paranormal Research and Investigations

Disclaimer:  As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases.